Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you think teachers have a responsibility to ensure healthy eating?

Highlighted

Do you think teachers have a responsibility to ensure healthy eating?

Engagement Ambassador

michal-grosicki-226082.jpg

We found this news headline: 'Bradford school bans sausage rolls from packed lunches' 

(Read article HERE)

We would like to know whether you think that teachers have a responsibility to ensure healthy eating?

- Do you think teachers should check children are eating healthy during snack and lunch times?

- Do you think teachers should advise or even interfere with what parents are giving their children to eat?

- Do you think guidelines should be set?

- Does what children eat affect their learning?

3 ANSWERS

Re: Do you think teachers have a responsibility to ensure healthy eating?

Giving it a go

I am not so sure that teachers should "ensure" a child is eating healthy, but providing them with the knowledge of the benefits of healthy eating and how it affects the body, is definitely the direction teachers should be looking toward. I teach young fives (transitional kindergarten) a body unit that includes a focus on the heart, brain, and bones. There are many opportunities during this unit of study to have conversations about different types of foods and how important it is to provide their growing bodies with proper nutrition. 

Collaboroo Writer

I tend to agree. Teaching about the benefits of healthy eating is important, but so is parental / child choice. There may be numerous reasons why a child has specific items in their lunch boxes, including just preferring those types of food. While healthy is always best, it is essential that children eat and maintain their energy levels during the day. Refusing to allow foods (other than due to dangers to others, such as peanuts etc.) could affect a child's willingness to go to school. Providing support and ideas for parents on ways to develop healthy habits is a better approach than simply banning foods.

Giving it a go

I feel that as teachers we “lead by example” in various ways and whilst we cannot “ensure” that children eat a healthy diet, we can provide them with information that will lead them to making more beneficial choices.