Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you spend your personal money on things for your classroom?

Highlighted

Do you spend your personal money on things for your classroom?

Administrator

We want to know whether you spend your personal money on things for your classroom! 

What have you been buying for your classroom?

Why do you feel it's important for the children?

14 ANSWERS

Re: Do you spend your personal money on things for your classroom?

V.I.C

Quite a lot of the time!  If I see something when I'm out and about I will always buy it especially smaller items.  This Summer I have been quite extravagant as I have bought a Sticky Kids CD, fine motor skills items, books and spent the voucher earned through Collaboroo on messy play items as shown in picture. I love to see the children's faces when they have new things to play with and anything that will inspire them is fine by me!  Thanks to CollaborooThanks to Collaboroo

Thanks to CollaborooThanks to Collaboroo

V.I.C

I spend my own money on things for the Foundation Stage. 

Mostly enhancement resources.

Also books, which I do take home again.

I sometimes get the money I spend back but not always.

It's difficult to switch off, I'm on the look out for things every time I go shopping, 

V.I.C

Yes i am.also always on the look out for resources such as books, fine motor skills resources like golf tees, pipe cleaners and lollipop sticks, etc. When i see ideas on here or pinterest or facebook pages i go on to amazon or ebay to price them out and oftern buy them. Sometimes i get the money back but usually as it is a couple of pound here and there i do not put receipts in....however it all adds up....no i cannot switch off either....definitely a vocation, not a job 😂

CollaborooHQ wrote:

We want to know whether you spend your personal money on things for your classroom! 

What have you been buying for your classroom?

Why do you feel it's important for the children?

V.I.C

I totally agree with you there.

I think pipe cleaners and the ingredients to make play dough and slime are on my weekly shopping list.

It's what we do, 

V.I.C

Yes I do as our school budget just doesn't cover all the EYFS essentials...never mind the extras that make learning that bit more sparkly, magica and exciting!

I usually would buy things for messy play, such as water beads, gloop, slime ingredients etc. I also spend quite a bit on story books - I adore telling stories, especially Julia Donaldson! I am forever on Amazon buying small bits here and there - small world items, things to enhance roll play, special pens or paper. 

Now that you mention it, it is no wonder my partner gets annoyed when I spend my own money for school supplies!

V.I.C

Haha, I just got a delivery of water beads yesterday and I bought yet another Julia Donaldson book, The further adventures of the owl and the pussycat. I'm buying things for September, our topic is weather and the seasons. I have a big bag full of bean bag filler for snow globes so far.

V.I.C

I love those water beads. I bought some blue ones for the frozen topic and put them in a container on the light table with polar animals. Had so much fun. The jumbo beads are amazing 🤗

V.I.C

Abo,, now I'm going to look for jumbo water beads. I love your idea with a light table. Unfortunately we don't have a light table so I made my own. Lots of battery powered fairy lights inside an opaque box with a lid. Line it with greaseproof paper. Not as good as the real thing though.

Collaboroo Writer

Same here, I spent money on small items that needed to be replaced regularly when working in early years. One of the main reasons being that they couldn't always wait for the termly / half termly order to go through. I also found when working in private nurseries that we often didn't have the budget we required to fulfil the EYFS in the pre-school room. Most of the staff took the same approach and it made a big difference to the quality of education we could provide. As others have said, larger things such as books, would have our names in and would leave with us if we went to a different setting.

@Rosie I love the idea for the light table.